Sunday, November 13, 2011

1977 Topps Baseball #7 - 1976 Earned Run Average Leaders


  • Bird!!!!!
  • There are a lot of lesser-known pitchers on this card.
  • The 1976 season was a magical one for Mark Fidrych. It really is too bad he was unable to repeat his success in future seasons. He was fun to watch.
  • Here is a video of Mark's appearance on Monday Night Baseball in June 1976:

  • John Denny had a good year in 1976. His 11-9 record prevented him from getting consideration for the NL Cy Young Award, but he would win the award in 1983.



1 comment:

  1. In about '83 or '84, I found a book about Fidrych in my school library and read all about him. I had no clue who he was before reading it, I just knew it was about a baseball player and I wanted to know everything about every player ever. After reading it, I thought he must've been the awesomest player ever and wished I could've seen him pitch. Besides, I love "weirdos". As the years went by, I saw a few short clips here & there on ESPN and stuff... but then youtube sprang to life & people actually put some lengthy clips on there. Wow I am impressed by the movement on his pitches!

    ReplyDelete