Saturday, July 14, 2012

1977 Topps Baseball #249 - Pete Redfern

  • Pete Redfern was the first player taken in the secondary phase of the 1976 draft. He had a  meteoric rise to the majors. After pitching in four games in AAA Tacoma, Pete was brought up to the majors in mid May and made his first major league start on May 15. Redfern had a pretty good rookie year in 1976 -- he was 8-8 with a 3.51 ERA in 23 starts.
  • Redfern didn't do as well in 1977, going 6-9 with a 5.18 ERA in 30 games (28 starts).
  • Pete spent most of the 1978 season pitching for the AAA Toledo Mud Hens. Redfern started the year with the Twins, but after a couple of rough starts and one relief appearance he was sent to Toledo on April 18. Pete had an 0-2 record and a 6.52 ERA for the Twins in '78.
  • In 1979 Pete was used as a reliever and a spot starter. In 40 games (6 starts) Redfern was 7-3 with one save and had a 3.49 ERA.
  • Pete missed almost 2 1/2 months of the 1980 season with elbow trouble. He was 7-7 with two saves and had a 4.56 ERA in 23 games (16 starts).
  • Redfern had a decent 1981 season. In 24 games (23 starts) he was 9-8 with a 4.07 ERA.
  • Pete's final major league season was in 1982. He had a rough time, going 5-11 with a 6.58 ERA in 27 games (13 starts). Pete started and lost the first game played in the new Metrodome.
  • In 1983 Redfern didn't pitch at all during spring training. He was released by the Twins on March 25. Pete got into a dispute with the Twins over how much money he should receive. The team said that Pete should get his 30 days of severance pay while Pete contended that he had an injury and should get his entire 1983 salary.
  • Pete signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers and pitched for their AAA Albuquerque team in 1983. 
  • On October 29, the Dodgers notified Pete of his release. Later that day, Pete was diving with some friends on Balboa Island and was severely injured. Redfern's spinal cord was severely damaged between the 4th and 5th cervical vertebra and he was paralyzed.
  • Pete underwent rehabilitation and in 1985 was able to walk 10 feet with help from therapists. Pete still uses a wheelchair.
  • Here is a video made by Pete's son Chad. Chad filmed a special "first pitch" with Pete in Anaheim that was broadcast over the jumbotron during the final season of the Metrodome in Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment